Monday, August 29, 2011

Martial Artist - Scan

This one's just for fun. He's mirrored backwards from the way I initially drew him and I'm still not sure which way he'll end up.

I have gone back to the drawing board, literally. I am now very confident the work I do is (nearly always) better if I start with a real pencil drawing first. I spent a lot of time and effort investigating entirely digital drawing options in order to reach this conclusion. If I ever get my hands on a Cintiq, maybe things will change. I am skeptical though, I suspect I have put too many hours worth of memory and experience into working with traditional media. I like working big(ger than my scan bed) and while Photoshop's 'photomerge' is amazing, scanning things is still annoying; it still causes distortions too. Also I have to clean them up, cut them out laboriously with the pen tool, and then draw back into them. It's a lot of extra work but I can't deny the final product ends up looking a lot more fresh and more 'real'.



No comments:

Post a Comment